If you’ve ever attended a teacher interview it’s very likely that you’ve been asked “why should we hire you as a teacher” at some point.
In theory, this should be one of the easiest interview questions to answer because you can simply list all of your credentials and highlight why you would be the perfect candidate for the job.
However, in practice, this question is often one of the most difficult to answer because it requires you to be both concise and convincing, after all, there are likely several other candidates who have comparable qualifications, so what will make you stand out?
Whenever possible, there are a few good teacher qualities you should try to work into your answers, theses include:
- Your proven success as a teacher
- Your excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Your strong work ethic and dedication to students
- Your innovative and enthusiastic approach to teaching
- Your passion for helping students learn and grow
Why Should We Hire You as a Teacher? – 9 Example Answers
Here are 9 sample answers that you can use as inspiration the next time you’re asked “why should we hire you as a teacher”, don’t forget to tailor them to fit your specific circumstances.
1. “I am passionate about teaching and I have the ability to engage students in learning. I am patient and I understand that every student learns at their own pace. I am capable of differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all students.”
2. “I have a proven track record of success in teaching. My students have consistently shown improvement in their grades and test scores. I am confident that I can have the same positive impact on your students.”
3. “I have a strong belief that all students can learn and succeed and I’m committed to my students and their success. I am a lifelong learner myself, and I enjoy sharing my love of learning with others.”
4. “I have a strong understanding of the subject matter and I am able to communicate that knowledge to students in an engaging way. I can also provide real-world examples to help students understand how what they’re learning can be applied in real life.
Related: 11 qualities of a good teacher.
5. “I love working with kids and helping them grow as learners. I believe that every child has the potential to succeed if given the right opportunities and support. I would be honoured to be given the chance to work with your students.”
6. “I am very excited about this opportunity to work at your school. Based on my research, I feel that my teaching style would be a good fit for your school’s philosophy. I also believe that my skills and experiences would benefit your students greatly.”
7. “I understand that every school is different and that each has its own unique needs. Based on what I know about your school, I believe that my experience and qualifications make me the ideal candidate for this position.”
8. “As someone who has been in education for many years, I have seen firsthand how important it is to have qualified and effective teachers in our schools. I believe that I can be one of those teachers and make a difference in the lives of your students.”
9. “I believe that education is one of the most important things we can give our children. As a teacher, it would be my privilege to help shape young minds and prepare them for success in life.”
Remember: when answering this question, be sure to focus on your strengths and how they align with the needs of the school. Be specific in your examples and avoid generalities.
Related: Why do you want to be a teacher?
Take the time to research the school beforehand so that you can tailor your answer to their unique needs and situation.
These are just some examples of how you might answer the question, “why should we hire you as a teacher?”.
When crafting your own response, be sure to focus on why you are uniquely qualified for the position and what you can bring to the table that other candidates cannot.
Demonstrate your passion for teaching and highlight your successes with past students, if applicable. Most importantly, show that you care about making a difference in the lives of children through education!